Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Shot in my bum ):

I went to the doctor yesterday and had to get another shot in my bum. My blood type is RH-Negative and I have to get a shot of Rhogam after a miscarriage so that my body will not fight future pregnancies. Here is some info:

What may happen if I am Rh-negative and pregnant?

If you are Rh-negative, you may develop antibodies to an Rh-positive baby. If a small amount of the baby's blood mixes with your blood, which often happens, your body may respond as if it were allergic to the baby. Your body may make antibodies to the Rh antigens in the baby's blood. This means you have become sensitized and your antibodies can cross the placenta and attack your baby's blood. They break down the fetus's red blood cells and produce anemia (the blood has a low number of red blood cells). This condition is called hemolytic disease or hemolytic anemia. It can become severe enough to cause serious illness, brain damage, or even death in the fetus or newborn.
Sensitization can occur any time the fetus's blood mixes with the mother's blood. It can occur if an Rh-negative woman has had:
Rh-negative women should also receive treatment after any miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, or induced abortion to prevent any chance of the woman developing antibodies that would attack a future Rh-positive baby.

I also had my blood checked again to make sure my levels were going down. I received a phone call today from the doc saying that my levels were at 4.2! That is good news! My levels need to go back to zero and should within the next couple of days. The nurse once again urged us not to get pregnant until we have another consultation with Dr. Mitchell. We are going to make an appointment next week when Nick gets his work schedule. I am very excited to learn her plan (: I am feeling "back to normal" and still very hopeful for the future. Again, God has a plan!

Nick and I have been talking about adoption lately. This is something that we will financially not be able to do for another 4-5 years. We are thinking of doing some fund raising and starting to set aside money of our own! To adopt through a local agency here in Marietta, it runs around $30,000 total. It is something we would like to do in several years, Lord willing!

On another note:

1. My job is stressful.
2. I am so thankful for sweet friends during hard times.
3. I want a mountain weekend full of festivals and apple picking.
4. I am thankful for my husband's new job and proud of him!!


That is all (: Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. There is an adoption grant foundation in Atlanta, I believe it's called The James Fund? Or maybe The Joshua Fund? There's also a national one run by Steven Curtis Chapman called Show Hope. Funding adoptions is what they do :)

    ReplyDelete